Are you responsible for planning your next family gathering? Maybe you just want to shake up where your family has been meeting? Or has your family outgrown the places you used to visit together? Since the majority of the travel industry is not geared toward searching for this perfect properties, I would like to share some great options that are just perfect for families wanting to share a multi-generation vacation or plan a larger family reunion.
Check out these twelve locations for your next next reunion or family vacation:
- Woodloch Resort – Hawley, Pennsylvania
- Camp Nokomis on Beautiful Toddy Pond – Surry, Maine
- Skin In/Ski Out Whitefish Dream Estate
- Silverwood Lodge – Athol, Idaho
- Grove Lodge at Mohonk Mountain House – New Paltz, New York
- Westgate River Ranch – River Ranch, Florida
- Benchmark Manor – Telluride, Colorado
- Honey Creek Resort – Moravia, Iowa
- Grandview Lodge – Nisswa, Minnesota
- Asheville Cabins at Willow Winds – Asheville, NC
- Chalets – Logan, OH
Whether your group is spread across the States, wants to travel for this special occasion or doesn’t desire to travel far, you will find something on this list that will appeal to your group.
Woodloch Pine Resort has been run by a single family since the late 1950s. The family has grown through generations into an over 1000 acre resort with accommodations for 900 guests. The property offers diverse accommodations options and almost unending entertainment and activities. They even offer Family Union Specialist staff to plan events like challenges and games, cocktail hours, and sporting activities. The video above will make you fall in love the idea and probably book a vacation as well.
Accommodations: Family Oriented Resort
Accommodation Types:Hotel Style Rooms, One and Two Bedroom Condos, Motel Style (more rustic) Rooms, Three and Five Bedroom Vacation Homes
- Over 30 social activities scheduled daily
- Indoor Splash Zone
- Synthetic Ice Rink
- Climbing Wall
- Go Carts & Bumper Cars
- Indoor & Outdoor Full-size and Kiddie Pools
- Arts & Crafts Room
- Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
- Lakeside Activities – Skiing, Bumper Boats, Boating, Water Slide
- Exercise Facilities
- Mini Golf & Tennis Courts
- Winter Activities – Tubing, Ice Skating
- Hiking Trails
- Golf Course
Dining Options: Ala Carte and Daily Inclusive Dining Plans Available
Best For: Families desiring differing price points for accommodations or families wanting to share a larger house with dining and activities readily available
Accommodation Type: House with Seven Suites and Two Cabins
Can Sleep: 22
- Waterfront Location
- 3400 Square Foot Private Gym
- Steam Room
- Water Activities: Fishing, Canoe, Kayaking, Paddle board with provided Life jackets
- 40 minutes from Acadia National Park
Dining: No meals available onsite, but central Chef’s Kitchen is available. Multiple restaurants are located within 15-20 minutes drive.
Best For: Families wanting the option to share central space and have some extra space for those desiring more privacy.
Situated near Glacier National Park, this new construction Ski In Ski Out Estate will impress and meet the needs of any large group. With over 6300 square feet, there is plenty of room to gather together and find your quiet corner to take a break. You won’t need to leave with the list of amenities this property boasts, but there are plenty of activities nearby.
Accommodation Type: Estate Home
Can Sleep: 22 on 11 beds
- Hot Tub
- Game Room with pool table and ping pong
- 2 300 square foot mountain view decks
- Heated lower patio
- Workout equipment
- Green run leading to base lodge (for any level of skier or snowboarder)
- Gourmet kitchen
- Fire pit
- Web bar
Best For: Multi-generational trip for family with grown children who have their own under children under 18
Located on a private road on private forested property, the home and cabins is prepared to handle a substantial group. The location is between Sandpoint and Coeur d’Alene, less than 15 minutes from Silverwood water park. With unique amenities such as fully functioning commercial kitchen and recording studio (for separate rental), this property is a special place for a large group to reconnect.
Accommodation Type: Large family house plus three cabins
Can Sleep: 38
Baths: 8 full + 2 half baths
- Located on 160 forest acres
- Outdoor fireplace, grill and smoker on patio
- Movie room with 135″ screen
- Karaoke room (1 free hour plus more rental available)
- Outdoor play area with climbing and fire pole, and playhouses
- Pool table, jukebox, game tables
- Outdoor play equipment
- Full recording studio for rent
Dining: Commercial kitchen with ample refrigerator/freezer space, 3 ovens, char-broiler, and large griddle as well as a commercial dishwasher
Best For: Family reunion or Group Retreat
The entire Mohonk Mountain House is a great setting for all of the amazing amenities listed below, but those looking for a special accommodation of their larger party will find the Grove Lodge perfectly fits their needs. Each of the six guest rooms boasts 700 square feet with spacious private sitting areas away from the shared space. Guests can gather at the massive dining table or the Great Room with it’s cathedral ceilings and 15 foot stone fireplace. Mohonk Mountain House is located on private, gated property on Lake Mohonk approximately two hours north of New York City.
Accommodations: Six bedroom home located on a resort property
Sleeps: 16 (2 King rooms and 4 two Queen rooms)
- Soaking tub separate from shower room
- Private parking for house
- Welcome amenity package
- Stylish, modern decor
- Afternoon Tea offered
- Indoor Pool
- Unlimited Activities
- Board Games
- Billiards Room
- Family Activities & Crafts
- Fishing on Lake Mohonk
- Golf with complimentary greens fees
- Disc golf course
- Lawn games such as croquet, bocce, and outdoor shuffleboard
- Game room with all your favorites: foosball, shuffleboard, arcade games, ping pong, and air hockey
- Access to a private beach (sand toys and personal flotation devices provided)*
- Hiking Trails (private use and guided)
- Lake activities – Paddle board, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and row boats
- Wellness services – yoga, meditation, fitness classes
- Outdoor Winter Activities – skating, cross country skiing, winter hikes, and holiday activities
- Nightly Activities – movies, live music and dance, performers, theme nights and campfires
- Numerous add ons – horseback riding, rock climbing, private dining, spa services, equipment rental (bikes, fishing poles)
Dining: 3 Meals per day included in Grove House rental rate
Best For: Group Retreat or Family Reunion/Getaway for Moderate Size Family
At Westgate River Ranch, accommodating your party will not be a challenge. They have a style and price point for every need. I recommend the 20 unit glamping section. Enjoy your own camping concierge to serve you in your traditional beds, private bath, air conditioned tents. Enjoy the benefits of camping without any of the inconvenience. In addition to this unique stay experience, Westgate is the largest dude ranch East of the Mississippi.
Accommodation Type: Mixture of room options from lodge style rooms and suites, cabins, cottages, rail car, glamping tents, and RV and tent camping options
Sleeps: 80 in glamping section alone (Each tent has 1 King and 2 Twin beds)
Baths: 1 per tent
- Tents with air conditioning or heating
- Electrical access
- Board games
- Morning Coffee Delivery (per concierge)
- Concierge service of luxury linens, extras blankets, firewood delivery or fire lighting
- Tons of activities
- Saturday night rodeo and street party
- Horseback riding
- Airboat rides
- Petting Zoo
- Trap and skeet range
- Zip line and bungy jump
- Swamp buggy rides
- Boat Rentals
- Mini Golf
- Nine hole golf course
- Outdoor Pool
Dining: Microwave and Refrigerator in each Tent. Onsite, Westgate boasts a Smokehouse restaurant, Saloon, Deli and offers a Dinner Hayride. There are not many additional restaurants within 45 minute range.
Best For: Families who like having their own space, but want to enjoy something special together.
The reliance on natural materials embraces its surrounding and the decor is both cozy and substantial. Next, you will see the views of mountains and snowy surrounding. The estate home offers your group plenty of space for group gatherings or smaller conversations. Each bedroom is also a private oasis or a fun spot for the kids of the group to hang out.
Accommodation Type: Manor style home
Sleeps: 18 in 7 bedrooms
- Theatre Room
- Ski In/Ski Out Access
- Game Room
- Dualling Hot Tubs
- Wine Room
- Outdoor firepits
Dining: Fully Equipped Kitchen with many restaurants nearby. Guests may use the free, public Gondola transit system to access downtown Telluride.
Best For: Family Reunion/Getaway for Moderate Size Family
Nestled into Central Iowa is a resort property offering hotel style accommodations, private cottage rental and RV sites. This unexpected property is located on Lake Rathbun which affords great views and access to water activities. Families will love all of the extras including a waterpark and Naturalist programs.
Accommodation Type: Lodge rooms, Cottages and RV sites on a resort property
Sleeps: No exact count, but 105 lodge rooms, 28 cottages plus the RV sites
- Buccaneer Waterpark
- Nature Center with programs
- Boat and jet ski rental
- Water activities – paddle board and kayaks
- Fishing equipment
- Bicycles and helmets
- Daily Entertainment Schedule
- Beach volleyball
- Disc golf
- The Preserve 18 hole golf course
- Aqua Waterpark
Dining: Cottages offer a full kitchen option. Onsite, there is a full service restaurant called Rathbun Lakeshore Grille. A few additional restaurants can be found within a 5-10 minute drive.
Best For: Groups or families of any size
Grandview Lodge is a combination of various types of accommodations to fit any size of group. They offer a Reunion Coordinator and have a full Reunion Guide available on their website. The majority of accommodations are designed for large groups and located over hundreds of acres. In addition to lakefront units and golf course units, the lodge offers a variety of services available to all guests.
Accommodation Type: Mixture of resort and lodge rooms and houses/townhomes that offer up to 9 bedrooms in one space.
Sleeps: No total count available, but plenty for nearly any size group.
- Indoor/Outdoor pools with waterpark
- Winter activities – cross country skiing, skating, ice fishing, skiing, snowboarding, tubing, snowmobile, carriage rides
- Entertainment – wine tastings, bingo, live music
- Lawn games
- Game Room
- Sand Volleyball
- Water activities – boating, fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding, tubing
- Fitness facilities and classes (yoga, etc.)
Dining: Impressive onsite dining options including a steakhouse, breakfast buffet, patio dining, pub, pizza, food truck and more. Each private rental has their own full kitchen options. Plus, there are off-site options very near the property.
Best For: Absolutely anyone, but groups who want to be active and have tons of food and entertainment options will appreciate it most.
Asheville is such a magical place on its own, but this forty acre woodland garden features twenty-five unique cabins, decorated in their own style. Each private cottage features either one, two or three bedrooms. Some cabins enjoy water views and others garden and forest views.
Accommodation Type: Series of twenty-five cabins
Sleeps: 25 cabins of differing sizes with 1, 2, or 3 bedrooms
- Stocked trout lake
- Gardens for wandering with 17 lighted fountains
- Location near Biltmore Estate
- Hot Tub at every cabin
- Pet friendly
- Offer various packages with experience featuring Asheville
- Private mountain stream
- Two playgrounds
- Lawn games – horseshoes, bocce, outdoor chess
- Seasonal water balloon station
- Fenced dog park
- Formal garden for celebrations
- Video library
- Complimentary gift baskets
Dining: Each cabin has a fully equipped kitchen, but downtown Asheville boasts many wonderful restaurants within ten minutes drive.
Best For: Smaller groups or larger groups that would enjoy the privacy of cabins and using the outdoor space for gathering.
The Hocking Hills Region is home to caves, trails and waterfalls. You can enjoy it all from the cabins and lodge available at Chalets at Hocking Hills. The Grand Butte Lodge is perfect for your family gathering with its spaciousness and family oriented amenities. The rustic lodge furnishings fill the substantial great room, lower level games room and spacious bedrooms. You will also find additional lodge properties as part of the same management group to explore.
- Private Swimming Pool
- Hot Tub
- Expansive views
- Pool Table and game tables
Dining: Substantial kitchen with extra cold storage. Depending on your choice of cabin or lodge, you are within proximity to West Logan where you will find several dining establishments.
Best For: Single moderate to large family
Additional Resources You May Like
Have a wonderful reunion or group gathering! If you stay at one of these places or have another spot to recommend, please let me know!